Houstonians Asked to Join TXU Energy in Providing Relief to Seniors Served by Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston
HOUSTON (July 11, 2019) – With summer temperatures on the rise, TXU Energy is partnering with Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston through a $10,000 donation to support a TXU Energy Beat the Heat fan drive. On Tuesday, July 16, Houstonians are invited to “beat the heat” by donating a new box fan or making an online donation to help Interfaith Ministries’ at-risk Meals on Wheels clients stay cool and avoid heat-related emergencies.
The TXU Energy Beat the Heat event will be held from 8 a.m. to noon at Interfaith Ministries’ Meals on Wheels headquarters, 3202 San Jacinto, Houston, TX 77004. Online donations will also be accepted at www.imgh.org/beat-the-heat
“Along with supplying nutritious food and visits to our clients, keeping them cool and comfortable during the summer months is key to protecting their health,” said Ali Al Sudani, Interfaith Ministries senior vice president for programs and chief of staff. “Support from the community and TXU Energy is absolutely essential to meeting that goal.”
TXU Energy’s donation will help purchase new box fans and provide meals and other supplies to homebound seniors over the summer, which will be distributed by Meals on Wheels drivers and volunteers to seniors in Harris, Galveston, Liberty, and Montgomery counties. On average, Interfaith Ministries delivers nutritious, fully-prepared meals to more than 4,400 homebound seniors and adults with disabilities each weekday.
“TXU Energy’s Beat the Heat program has reached thousands of Texans over the years, and we’re honored to partner with Interfaith Ministries to help their clients stay safe and cool this summer,” said Caroline Atkins, TXU Energy community affairs manager. “In the Greater Houston area, residents have already experienced several days of triple-digit heat index values, which means heat safety awareness is crucial—especially for those most at risk, including elderly and homebound residents.”
To stay cool this summer, TXU Energy offers a number of tips, including:
- Don’t turn off your air conditioner. Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or higher.
- Use ceiling fans to spread cool air more evenly throughout the room.
- Drink one glass of cool water for every 20 minutes of heat exposure.
- Avoid eating hot foods and heavy meals.
- Wear loose, light-colored absorbent cotton clothing and a wide-brimmed hat while outside.
- Take cool showers and baths.
- Limit exercise or strenuous physical activity to early morning or late evening.
- Keep blinds or draperies closed on sunny days to help keep heat out.