HOUSTON (April 23, 2021) – IMpower, the women’s initiative at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston (Interfaith Ministries), will host a virtual concert on Tuesday, June 8 from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. that will feature the voices of local artists representing Houston’s rich tapestry of diverse backgrounds. The IMpowered Voices Unity Concert is an opportunity for these performers to showcase their voices with a focus on empowering self, the community and the next generation. In addition to a diverse group of local artists, we will showcase Interfaith Ministries’ programs through brief vignettes of our work in each of our four core service areas – Refugee Services, Meals on Wheels/Animeals, Interfaith Relations & Community Partnerships, and Volunteer Houston.
“The unity concert is our way of giving back to the community during the pandemic, to tell the Interfaith Ministries’ story, and to share in an evening filled with harmony and uplifting music from a very talented group of local artists,” said Jodi Bernstein, vice president of Interfaith Relations and Community Partnerships at Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston.
Performers will include:
- Robyn Troup – an American singer who was the winner of the “My Grammy Moment” contest organized by NARAS and Yahoo! Music in 2007. She is the granddaughter of Rev. William A. Lawson.
- Ahi Ajayan – a high school senior who is classically trained in Indian music.
- Arshenoor Ankleshwaria – a classically trained singer and piano teacher.
- Dee Dee Dochen and Vicki Merwin – two friends and vocalists who perform professionally with various groups in both public venues and at private events.
- International Voices Houston – a multicultural choir in Houston that inspires, educates, and brings joy to its audiences through world music.
Melanie Lawson will emcee IMpowered Voices Unity Concert. Melanie Lawson and Robyn Troup continue the family legacy of Rev. William A. Lawson, who is honored as one of the Three Amigos on our Brigitte and Bashar Kalai Plaza of Respect at Interfaith Ministries. The concert will be open to the public free of charge on social media. Sponsorships are available to help underwrite the costs of the event and to support Interfaith Ministries’ interfaith work and community programming.
For more information, visit https://www.imgh.org/events/impoweredvoices/. Proceeds further Interfaith Ministries’ mission of bringing together diverse groups for dialogue, collaboration and service as a demonstration of our shared beliefs. For more information, please contact Brandi Ledet at email@example.com or at 713-533-4925.