About Interfaith Ministries’ Meals on Wheels Thanksgiving
Interfaith Ministries’ Meals on Wheels Thanksgiving is an annual community-wide event hosted on Thanksgiving morning to help feed homebound seniors in the Greater Houston and Galveston areas. This Thanksgiving, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Thanksgiving event is going virtual to observe the necessary precautions to keep our senior clients and staff safe. Now more than ever, homebound seniors need help. The need for senior meals has continued to grow during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our goal is to raise $55,000 to provide meals to more than 5,000 seniors in need this Thanksgiving and beyond. With help from the community Meals on Wheels seniors will receive some holiday joy this season!
There are 5 ways to get involved this Thanksgiving, and all of them can be done virtually or in a socially distanced manner.
1. Join the Friendly Neighbor Call Team – to deliver some holiday joy to homebound seniors via a personal phone call on Thanksgiving morning. Each volunteer/family sign-up will be provided access to a list of approximately 10 seniors to call between 10:00 am and 12:00 pm noon on Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 26, 2020. These calls will be made via a Virtual Phone Bank, to which our volunteers will be granted access. NO need to use your own phone number – You will be assigned a local area code and number and be good to go! Training will be provided as the event nears.
2. Join the Secret Santa Gift Bag Team – Adopt a senior or two and provide them with holiday gift bags. These bags are supplies that provide the seniors’ items they regularly need and a fun item or two. A list of suggested items is provided and completed bags can be dropped off at Meals on Wheels.
3. Join the Gobble Gobble Gang for Animeals – The beloved pets of homebound seniors are not forgotten this year. Dry kibble is needed to feed the 1,300 pets of homebound seniors. Pet food can be dropped off at Meals on Wheels in Midtown Houston.
4. Join the Friendsgiving Team – Peer to Peer Fundraising is one of the most powerful ways for the community to get involved. Start a Friendsgiving campaign with family and friends to help feed seniors this Thanksgiving.
5. Donate – Would you like to have an impact but can’t commit to the other volunteer opportunities? For every $5 gift, a senior can receive a meal for Thanksgiving and beyond. Donations of any size are welcome.
For more details and to register visit https://www.imgh.org/events/thanksgiving/