HOUSTON – (March 28, 2022) – Volunteer Houston, a program of Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston and the Houston Points of Light affiliate, is now accepting applications for the SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps program starting Fall 2022! SERVE HOUSTON is the new AmeriCorps Program powered by Volunteer Houston.
SERVE HOUSTON sends teams of five to nonprofit project sites across Houston to provide direct service to vulnerable populations in living healthier lives by providing outreach, training, and hands-on activities on nutrition, wellness practices, social and physical fitness, and other activities. We are recruiting 50 diverse, ambitious persons to become SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps Members to participate in our Fall 2022 program where Members will have the opportunity to learn, lead and a make an IMpact through service.
AmeriCorps Members will receive program benefits such as:
- Living allowance totaling $4,500 over the program term to be distributed in bi-weekly increments.
- Segal AmeriCorps education award of $1,718.25 upon successful completion of service term.
- Access to the prestigious AmeriCorps, Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston, and Volunteer Houston networks.
- Service-learning opportunity with initial and ongoing trainings throughout the program.
- Project management and nonprofit operations experience.
- Opportunity to participate in a mentorship program tailored to your career goals.
- Leadership, team building, civic engagement, and other development opportunities.
- Resume building and other Life after AmeriCorps training opportunities.
The base eligibility requirements for Members are:
- Be 18 years old.
- Pass background checks.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Be a current student, recent graduate, gap year student, or college aspirational student.
- A college aspirational student is an individual with plans to attend college or trade school after completion of the service period.
- Have a valid driver’s license or photo ID.
- Be willing and ready to serve in person at your assigned project site.
- Flexibility and a willingness to serve your community wherever and however you are called to do so.
- Must be able to serve up to 20 hours per week between September 19th, 2022 to April 6th, 2023.
- Must have no competing commitments.
- Be able to convey a meaningful connection to the Greater Houston community whether by residence or some other affiliation.
- Be willing to comply with the COVID-19 protocol and vaccination requirements.
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
Participating project sites for the SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps Fall 2022 Cohort include Precinct2gether, Inc., Tejano Center, Houston ToolBank, Interfaith Ministries Refugee Services, L.I.F.E. Houston, Meals on Wheels for Greater Houston and Galveston County, Houston Food Bank, Avondale House, Kids’ Meals and Santa Maria Hostel.
For more information, register for one of the upcoming zoom informational sessions this March at https://bit.ly/34tyxSK. The online application is open now at https://volunteerhouston.org/servehouston/ and interviews will begin in April on a rolling basis.